The Deagon Ward comprises the suburbs of Boondall, Brighton, Deagon, Sandgate, Shorncliffe, Taigum, most of Geebung and Zillmere and the industrial side of Virginia. It also includes Moreton Island (including the townships of Bulwer, Cowan Cowan and Kooringal).
The Deagon Ward contains some of Brisbane’s most significant RAMSAR sites including the Brighton Wetlands, Deagon Wetlands, Boondall Wetlands and the lagoon system out to Bramble Bay.
Much of the Deagon Ward used to be part of the former Sandgate Town Council which became part of the City of Brisbane in 1925. With the completion of the train line to Sandgate in 1882 which connected Brisbane to Moreton Bay, the local area developed quickly and became known as a tourist destination. Many of the historic buildings around Sandgate reflect this history with the Sandgate Town Hall completed in 1911 and the Shorncliffe Pier built in 1884 and the Sandgate Post Office building in 1886.